How to set up and use Yahoo! Messenger SMS services on your mobile device
Learn how to get started using SMS Messenger on your cell phone to send text (SMS) messages, along with some of the basic commands.
Send and receive instant messages (IMs) as text (SMS) messages from your mobile device to all of your Yahoo! Messenger friends. You'll be able to sign in from either your computer or your mobile device.
To get started:
- Register your mobile device from your computer: First, you will need to register your mobile device.
- For instructions, see our help page about how to set up your mobile device.
- Review of supported wireless carriers: See our help page listing supported wireless carriers and countries for text (SMS) messaging.
SMS commands that you can send:
- Sign in: IN Yahoo! ID password
- Sign out: OUT
- Send message: TO Yahoo! ID message
- View friends: GET
- Add friends: ADD Yahoo! ID
- Delete a friend: DEL Yahoo! ID
Note: You may incur charges for sending and receiving text messages on your mobile device. Please see your carrier service agreement for more information on your text message plan.
- Once you have successfully signed in, your friends will see you as "I'm Mobile."
- To make it easier to sign in again in the future:
- Save a sign in message in your outbox.
- Forwarding the message to your access number will sign you in.