Yahoo! Messenger 11 Basics
This article provides tips to help you get started using Yahoo! Messenger 11.
Here is some information to help you get started using Yahoo! Messenger:
How to download Yahoo! Messenger:
- Go to the Messenger Download page.
- Click Download Now and follow all the prompts.
How to sign in to Yahoo! Messenger:
- Click the Windows Start button.
- Select Programs.
- Select Yahoo! Messenger. Yahoo! Messenger will open.
- Enter your Yahoo! ID and password.
- If more than one person is going to be using Yahoo! Messenger on this computer, clear the check box option for Remember my ID & Password. Then Yahoo! Messenger will request a Yahoo! ID and password each time it is started.
- Click Sign In.
NOTE: If you don't have a Yahoo! ID, please click the Get Yahoo! ID button to create a free Yahoo! account.
For additional information on how to reduce your security risk when online, visit our Security Center.
How to add a contact:
- Click Add a Contact at the bottom of the Yahoo! Messenger window. You can also click Contacts and select Add a Contact.
- Enter a Yahoo! ID or Yahoo! Mail address for the contact you want to add. If you don't know the Yahoo! ID or Yahoo! Mail address of the contact, use their email address. They will then receive an emailed invitation.
- Click Next.
- Select the group to which you'd like to add this contact. Adding the contact to "Friends," the default group, adds the contact name to your main Messenger List. You can also add a message, if you like, so that they'll know who you are.
- Click Finish.
NOTE: The contact is automatically notified and given the option to allow or deny your add request. If the contact denies your request, they won't appear in your Messenger List.
How to send an instant message (IM) to someone on your Messenger List:
- Double-click the contact name.
- Type your message.
- Click Send. (Or press Enter on your keyboard.)
For additional information about sending instant messages: