Error: "Yahoo! Messenger has encountered a problem and needs to close" when using Messenger on Windows XP
Following the steps in this article can help to resolve Yahoo! Messenger problems such as crashes, freezes or runtime errors on Windows XP.
The first step to resolve Yahoo! Messenger crashes on Windows XP is to uninstall runtime components:
- On your keyboard, press the key combination Windows Logo + R. This opens the "Run" command.
- Type appwiz.cpl and click OK. This opens "Add or Remove Programs."
- Select each of the following items and click the Remove button. There may be multiple installed versions, so be sure to remove all of them.
- Microsoft .NET Framework
- Microsoft Visual C++
- When uninstall is complete, restart your computer.
- Download and install the following software updates to optimize your computer's compatibility with Yahoo! Messenger.
- Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Windows XP
- Java Runtime Environment
- DirectX Runtime Web Installer
- Visual C++ Runtime 2005
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4
- Internet Explorer 8
- After installing these updates, restart your computer again, and then run Yahoo! Messenger.