Getting Started: Yahoo! Messenger Basics
Tips to help you get started using Yahoo! Messenger:
- How to download Yahoo! Messenger.
- How to sign in.
- How to add a contact and send an IM (instant message).
Downloading Yahoo! Messenger:
- Visit the Yahoo! Messenger download page
- Click Download Now and follow all prompts.
Signing in to Yahoo! Messenger:
- To learn how to sign in to Yahoo! Messenger, see our help page about signing In to Yahoo! Messenger.
- To learn how to add contacts to Yahoo! Messenger, see our help page about adding a contact to your Messenger List.
Sending Instant Messages:
- To learn the various ways to send an instant message, see our help article about sending an Instant Message with Messenger.
- Learn how to create a different identity in Yahoo! Messenger by following the steps in our help article about how to create an alias.
To learn more about Yahoo! Messenger, see our Yahoo! Messenger 11 tutorials.
Your Yahoo! ID is the unique username you selected when you created your Yahoo! account. If you have a Yahoo! Mail account, your username is the first part of your email address:
- Example: If your Yahoo! Mail email address is "email@example.com," your Yahoo! ID is "free2rhyme".
Your friends will need to use your Yahoo! ID to add your name to their contact list.
Note: Make sure to share your complete email address with your friends if you have a "ymail.com" account, a "rocketmail.com" account, or any email address that does not include "@yahoo.com".