Why Text Messages May Not be Getting Through
This document explains why your friend may not be receiving your text messages.
If you've sent several text (SMS) messages from Yahoo! Messenger on your computer to a mobile device, but have never gotten a reply, don't be alarmed. You may receive a text message that you've never seen before. It simply means our spam filter is doing its job. Yahoo! limits the number of consecutive text messages you can send from your computer to a mobile number that isn't responding. We do this to help prevent spam and other abuse.
After you've sent three text messages to someone without a response, if you send a fourth one to the same number, your contact won't receive it. Instead, Yahoo! Messenger intercepts it and sends you either one of these two text messages:
- "Your friend must respond to one of your messages before you can send more"
- "This number has chosen not to receive any text messages"
Your friend's mobile device must be reset before they can receive additional text messages from you.
Here is what your friend needs to do to reset their mobile device if you received "Your friend must respond to one of your messages before you can send more":
- Reply to your message with:
sms (your Yahoo! ID) (message from your friend)
Example: sms dairyman88 I reset my phone!
- Send that message to the short code for your phone's wireless carrier:
To see the list of U.S. and international wireless carrier short codes, go to the help article, List of Supported Wireless Carriers and Countries for Text Messaging.
Here is what your friend needs to do to reset their mobile device if you received "This number has chosen not to receive any text messages":
- Your friend needs to type a new text message containing just the words: unblock all
- Send that message to the short code for your phone's wireless carrier.
Once your friend resets their mobile device you should be able to text (SMS) them again.