How to import your locally stored messages to the online archive
This article describes how to add your existing Messenger archive to the newer Conversation History (introduced with Yahoo! Messenger 11). The Conversation History is also known as server side archive or cloud.
This article also discusses how to merge archives stored on multiple computers with the online archive.
Yahoo! Messenger 11 will prompt you to upload your local archives the first time that you sign in on a particular computer. If you did not accept the prompt to upload, you can always:
- On the menu bar, click Messenger | Preferences.
- Select the Conversation History tab.
- Click the Import Existing Message Archive button.
- If you have messages archived on multiple computers, you will be able to follow the automatic prompts, or use the process above to merge them all into your online archive.
- The time that it takes for your archives to be uploaded depends on your Internet connection speed and the size of your local archive. In the event that you have to sign out of Messenger before the archives are uploaded, you can always restart the import the next time that you sign in.
- If the local archive files have not been deleted, you will be able to view archives originally created in earlier versions when you install a previous version of Yahoo! Messenger.
- Any new archives created in Yahoo! Messenger 11 will not be accessible in earlier versions.
- It is not possible to download archives from the server. You do have the option of saving archives to text files, however the saved text files will not be accessible within any version of Yahoo! Messenger .