How to Change Your Yahoo! ID
This article describes steps for changing your username, how to get a new screen name for chat, and how to set up a new ID
For a different ID, you must either create a new account or add a nickname to your current account. This way you can avoid having your name or Yahoo! ID display when you're using Yahoo! Messenger.
If you create a new account, you'll need to reset all of your preferences for your My Yahoo! and other Yahoo! personalized services. Also keep in mind that information between separate accounts can't be merged or exchanged.
To add a nickname:
- Click the Messenger menu and select My Contact Details. The Contact Details window will open.
- In the Nickname box add the nickname you would like to use. (Make sure you remove your first and last name from the contact details to ensure your nickname is displayed.)
- Click Save and Close.
To configure your nickname display preference:
- Click the Messenger menu and select Preferences. The Yahoo! Messenger Preferences window will open.
- Under Category on the left, click Appearance.
- Under For each contact, show, select the option for Nickname or First and Last name.
- Click Apply and then click OK.
Now, your nickname display should be set and this is what your contacts will see when you send them an IM. Please keep in mind that your contacts will also display in this same way in your contact list.
Another option is to create an alias for use within Yahoo! Messenger. For more information about creating an alias please visit this page.