I switched to a new webcam. How do I make Yahoo! Messenger recognize the new one?
This document describes how to change your camera source.
If you get a new webcam, you need to tell Yahoo! Messenger to use the new one by changing the settings within Yahoo! Messenger.
Note: Be sure to follow your webcam manufacturer's installation instructions for this new webcam. This involves inserting the webcam installation CD, being guided through a few steps for installation, and rebooting your computer. (Also be aware that plugging in the camera's USB cord at the incorrect time during the webcam software installation could cause a problem.)
How to choose another webcam:
- Click the Messenger menu and select My Webcam. The My Webcam window opens.
- On the My Webcam window, click the File menu and select Preferences.
The Yahoo! Messenger Preferences window opens.
- For Yahoo! Messenger 9 and older, select Webcam from Category options. For Yahoo! Messenger 10 and newer, select Webcam Broadcast.
- Click Camera Source and the Camera Source window opens.
- Select the webcam you want to use from the Camera Source pull-down menu, and then click OK.
You can change your webcam at any time, but you can only set Yahoo! Messenger to use a single webcam at a time. (Don't forget, when you change to a new webcam you'll need to perform a proper installation according to the manufacturer's instructions.)
Note: If you only see Micrsoft WDM in your webcam source this may mean that your webcam is not activated. In this case we recommend reinstalling the webcam drivers, please see our Webcam Not Working article.
To improve your experience, you may want to try video calling, a new webcam technology available with Yahoo! Messenger 10. Video calling is a new alternative to using your webcam. It will probably give you better results than using the traditional webcam technology.