Resetting connection settings to resolve sign-in issues
This document describes what to do if you are unable to sign in to Yahoo! Messenger, or if you receive a network or connection error. Resetting your connection settings may resolve the issue.
To reset the connection settings in Internet Explorer:
- On your keyboard, hold down the Windows logo key and press the R key. This opens the "Run" command.
- Type in inetcpl.cpl and then click OK. This opens "Internet Properties".
- Select the Connections tab.
- Click the LAN settings button.
- Take note of all checked settings on the settings page in case you need to restore them later.
- Uncheck all of the boxes.
- Click OK to save the LAN Settings.
- Click OK to save the Internet Properties.
To reset the connection settings in Yahoo! Messenger:
- If you are signed in, click the Messenger menu and select Sign Out.
- Click the Messenger menu and select Connection Preferences.
- Select the Connect directly to the Internet option.
- Click Apply and then OK.
After resetting your connection settings, try to sign in to Yahoo! Messenger again. If you are signed in successfully, this indicates an issue with your previous configuration. If you must use an advanced network configuration, reach out to your ISP or network administrator for further assistance.