Uninstall and re-install Yahoo! Messenger on your Mac or PC
This article provides links to instructions for uninstalling and re-installing Yahoo! Messenger for Apple and Windows operating systems. See the provided links for specific instructions on removing and re-installing Messenger in XP, Vista, Windows 7, or Mac.
If you are experiencing issues with Yahoo! Messenger, upgrading to the latest version can resolve problems that have been addressed by our engineers since you last updated Messenger. In addition, the latest version also offers improved security along with other new and improved features. We have provided instructions for uninstalling and re-installing Messenger on your computer.
- Download time can take anywhere from 1 to 15 minutes. In addition, 25MB of free disk space is required to install Yahoo! Messenger.
- For a custom installation: When the installer window appears, select Custom Install and then select only the options you want.
- You may want to back up your message history archive, see the Additional Information section below for instructions.
How to uninstall and re-install Messenger:
- To uninstall Yahoo! Messenger, select the link to see instructions for your computer:
- To turn off Messenger in Mail: See our help article about how to turn off Messenger in Mail.
- Backing up your message history archive: Your message history archive should remain intact when you re-install Messenger.
You can back them up if you prefer, see our instructions on how to back up message history archives for your computer:
- Back up on a PC
- Back up on a Mac