How to remove an unwanted contact using delete and ignore in Yahoo! Messenger
This article describes how to delete and ignore a contact in Yahoo! Messenger.
This article covers:
- How to delete a contact from your Messenger List (or Contact List)
- How to delete multiple contacts from your Messenger List at the same time
- How to add the Yahoo! ID for a contact to the Ignore List
- How to ignore messages from anyone not in the contact list
- How to access the Ignore List and edit it to ignore someone or unblock someone
Please know that Ignoring people will not block incoming "add to contact list" requests. This is so you can receive new add request invitations from your friends who may not currently be on your list.
Note: Before you delete a contact, make a note of the Yahoo! ID if you also want to add them to your Ignore List.
To delete a contact:
- Right-click the person's name and select Delete.
- Click Yes.
- Note: Be sure to make a note of the Yahoo! ID for this contact if you also want to add them to your Ignore List.
To delete multiple contacts from your Messenger List at the same time:
- Press and hold the CTRL key on your keyboard while simultaneously selecting the names of the contacts that you would like to delete.
- While continuing to press the CTRL key, right-click on one of the names and select Delete.
To access the Ignore List to add or remove someone:
- Select Messenger | Preferences.
- Select the Ignore List category at the left.
- Select one of the following options at the right:
- Ignore only the people below. (You will then be able to edit the Ignore List in step 4.)
- Ignore anyone who is not in my Yahoo! Contacts. (Skip to step 5 if you make this selection.)
- Edit the Ignore List:
- To ignore someone: Click Add. (This contact will be added to your Ignore List.)
- To unblock someone: Select the Yahoo! ID and click Remove. (If you change your mind, you can use "unblock someone" to remove them from your Ignore List.)
- Click Apply and then OK to save the settings.
- Ignoring people will not block incoming "add to contact list" requests.
- Deleted and ignored contacts won't be notified that they have been deleted or ignored.
- The contacts you ignore will not be able to send messages to you and you will always appear offline to them.
- You cannot delete yourself from another person's contact list.
- You can ignore up to 300 contacts.