How to delete emails
This article outlines how to:
- Delete a message in your Inbox
- Delete multiple messages
- Delete all the messages of a folder or Inbox
- Deleting emails from the Search Results
When you delete a message, it goes to the Trash folder. Yahoo! Mail periodically removes the messages in your Trash folder, and you can also empty the trash yourself at any time. Messages are not removed from search until the Trash folder is emptied.
To delete a single message:
- Open the message you would like to delete.
- Click Delete in the toolbar above the message.
To delete multiple messages:
- Open the Inbox (or, if the messages are in another folder, open that folder).
- Click the checkbox to the left of each message you want to delete.
- If you would like to delete a series of emails, press and hold Shift on your keyboard and select another message further down the list. All messages between the two chosen emails will be selected.
- Click Delete in the toolbar above the message list. (Note: This button is only clickable when messages are selected.)
To empty the Trash folder:
- Hover over the Trash at the left side of the page. A trashcan icon appears. (Note: the icon does not appear if your trash is already empty.)
- Click the trash can icon.
- The message: “Are you sure you want to empty this folder?” appears. Click OK.
When you empty the Trash folder, the messages it contained are permanently deleted.
You don't need to delete old emails unless you want to. You won't run out of storage space, since we now offer unlimited storage to users who don't abuse the privilege. See more details about our storage policy.