How long do my deleted emails stay in the Trash and Spam folders?
Yahoo! Mail deletes the messages in your Trash folder at occasional intervals, and it is not possible to control the time of deletion. Don't expect emails to remain in Trash for any amount of time.
To permanently remove the contents of the Trash folder:
- Hover the cursor over Trash in the upper-left corner of your inbox, and click the trash can icon that appears. (Note: if the trash can icon doesn't appear, that is because the trash is already empty.)
- The message: "Are you sure you want to permanently delete all email in Trash?" appears. To confirm that you want to empty the Trash folder, click OK.
When emails are emptied from the Trash folder, they're permanently deleted.
The Spam folder lets you choose how long you want to keep messages before they are automatically deleted. The available options are one week, two weeks, or one month. The default setting is one month.
To modify these settings:
- Sign in to Yahoo! Mail.
- Click the gear icon () in the upper-right corner of the window, and select Mail Options from the menu that appears.
- Select General from the left pane and locate the "Spam Protection" section.
- Select the desired interval beside "Empty Spam folder":
- Once a week
- Every two weeks
- Once a month
- Select Save.