Why Yahoo! may prompt you to change your password
Learn why you may receive the "We believe your account has been compromised. A simple password change will help protect your account" alert message when signing in to Yahoo!.
If you are taken to the "Change your Yahoo! Password" page after signing in to Yahoo!, our security system has identified your account as potentially compromised.
Don't be alarmed:
- This prompt is a precaution, intended to protect your account's security.
- If your account was in fact compromised, changing your password is an effective way to restore your account's security.
Why changing your password is important:
- If your password was compromised, changing it prevents others from continuing to access your account.
- You should periodically change your password anyway -- it's an easy, harmless way to ensure your account's security.
Changing your password:
Follow the prompts on the screen to change your password. You'll be asked to:
- Enter a CAPTCHA verification code (this is sometimes used as a security measure).
- Enter your current password.
- Enter and confirm a new password. (See our tips for creating a secure, strong password.)