Overview of accessibility features for persons with disabilities
- Using Yahoo! Mail with assistive technologies.
Yahoo! Mail is an accessible web application designed to support screen readers. Below are some tips for using Yahoo! Mail with assistive technologies.
Using Yahoo! Mail with a screenreader:
- Supported screenreaders
- Recommended Yahoo! Mail settings for use with screenreaders
- For instructions on how to use Yahoo! Mail with a specific screen reader, please see our video tutorials.
Using Yahoo! Mail without a mouse:
- Navigating with widgets: Like desktop mail applications, the user interface is composed of widgetsWidgets are small, individual applications. Each Yahoo! Mail page is composed of separate widgets. For example, when composing an email, the "To" and "CC" fields are separate widgets., rather than structural elements like headings and lists. Learn how to navigate with widgets.
- Keyboard shortcuts: If you don't want to use the screen reader's virtual cursor, we have set up keyboard shortcuts and an efficient tab flow to provide an alternative way to navigate around the application.
- Turning the virtual cursor on and off: Yahoo! Mail uses the W3C's ARIA (Accessible Rich Internet Applications) Specification to automatically turn the virtual cursor off or on depending on the state of the application. For example, the virtual cursor is "off" by default to enable the use of Yahoo! Mail's keyboard shortcuts for navigating the Inbox. When reading an email, the virtual cursor is automatically turned on to enable common reading operations, like skipping between headings.