Recommended Settings to improve Yahoo! Mail's compatibility with screen readers
- The best Yahoo! Mail settings for users of assistive technologies
- Using Yahoo! Mail's accessibility features
The following settings improve Yahoo! Mail's compatibility with screen readers:
- Enabling "pagination" mode: There are two ways to view the messages in the Inbox, either in a scrolling list with a preview pane or using a paginated list. Note that the paginated list is the default option for users, so if you haven't changed this option in the past, you don't need to change it now.
- Going to the Inbox by default: This bypasses the "What's New" page when you log in to Yahoo! Mail.
To enable these settings:
- Select Options | Mail Options in the upper left corner. To do so without a mouse:
- Use the Tab key to navigate to the "Options" menu button at the top of the page.
- Press the Enter key to show the button's menu.
- Use the down arrow to move to the "Mail Options" link and press Enter.
- To enable pagination mode:
- Under Behavior (this is the top section of the Mail Options Menu), make sure the radio button next to Show Messages: Page by Page is checked. (Use the Tab key to move to these radio buttons).
- To go to Inbox by default:
- Also under Behavior, check the box next to Inbox: Show on startup. (Press the Tab key to move to this checkbox).
- Select Save to save your changes. To do so without a mouse:
- Press Shift + Tab until focus lands on a button labeled "Save Changes"
- While focused on the "Save Changes" button press the Enter key
- Press Ctrl + \ (Cmd + \ for Mac) to close the Mail options tab and return to the Inbox.
For instructions on how to use Yahoo! Mail with a specific screen reader, please see our video tutorials.