Restoring deleted or missing contacts
If you've deleted contacts by mistake or contacts are missing that you didn't delete, this article can help you restore them.
Restoring a contact that you recently deleted
- In Yahoo! Mail, click the Contacts tab.
- In the left column under "Shortcuts," select Deleted Contacts.
Deleted contacts appear in the middle column.
Note: You can restore a deleted contact for about a month from when you deleted it. If you don't see the contact in the Deleted Contacts list, it is not possible to restore the contact.
- Check the box next to each contact that you want to restore.
- Click Restore at the top of the right column.
The selected contacts are returned to your address book and can be found under "All Contacts".
Asking Yahoo! to restore missing contacts
Complete this restoration request form, Yahoo! Contacts Restore Form, and we will do our best to restore contacts missing due to a product bug or a compromised account. The following conditions apply:
- We can only restore contacts lost in the last ten days.
Because of this short timeline, contact us as soon as you notice contacts are missing.
- Recovery is not guaranteed.
We will make our best effort to recover your contacts, but doing so is not always possible.
- The restore process removes contacts added after the requested restoration date.
When you complete the restoration request form, you are asking us to return your address book to an earlier time—a time that includes your missing contacts. Any contacts added after that time no longer exist. Of course, you can add them again after we perform the restore.
- Before requesting a restore, backup your current address book to a CSV file.
If newly added contacts are missing after the restore, you can retrieve the contact details from the backup
- Create a CSV file following the steps in Exporting contacts, choosing the Yahoo! CSV option and note where you saved the file.
- After we've restored your contacts, follow the steps in Importing contacts from another email service or CSV file. In these steps, you'll want to check A desktop email program option in the import tool (not Another Yahoo! account) and then find your CSV file. From there, you can find and import the missing contacts.
Note: If you need to restore lost emails or IMs, see our help article about restoring lost or deleted emails or IMs.
You might find this article useful: