Using an email program to receive email
Learn how to set up POP (Post Office Protocol) for your Yahoo! Mail account. POP is the Internet protocol standard used by email programs (email clients), like Microsoft Outlook, and Mac Mail.
Please note: this feature is available only to Mail Plus subscribers. For more information on Mail Plus, please visit this webpage.
Step 1: activate POP access in your Yahoo! Mail account:
- Sign in to Yahoo! Mail.
- Move your cursor over the gear icon () in the upper-right, and select Mail Options. (In Mail Classic, select Options | Mail Options.)
- Click POP & Forwarding from the list at the left. The "Access your Yahoo! Mail elsewhere" ("POP & Forwarding" in Mail Classic) options display at the right.
- Select the radio button next to Access Yahoo! Mail via POP ("Allow your Mail to be POPed" in Mail Classic).
- Click Save.
Step 2: set up your email program to receive your Yahoo! Mail. See the detailed instructions for your email program below:
- Entourage 2001 and higher
- Mac Mail for Apple OSX v.10.5 or 10.6
- Mac Mail for Apple OSX v.10.7
- Outlook 2000
- Outlook 2002 and 2003
- Outlook 2007
- Outlook 2010
- Outlook 2011 for Mac
- Outlook 2013
- Outlook Express
- Windows Live Mail
For email programs not listed above, consult the help documentation of your email program for instructions on setting up POP.
You may be asked for the following information about incoming and outgoing server settings when setting up POP in your email program:
- For detailed POP settings, see the POP settings for Yahoo! Mail.
- Email address: Your Yahoo! Mail email address (for example, email@example.com)
- Password: Your Yahoo! Mail password
- Account name/sign-in name: Your Yahoo! ID (your email address without the "@yahoo.com" at the end; for example, "jo.bloggs")
- If you can't add new POP or new SMTPSimple Mail Transfer Protocol: an Internet standard protocol used by email programs to send mail to a remote computer servers in your mail reader program, you need to change your current mail settings to access your Yahoo! Mail account. Write down your current settings first: You may need to revert to them later if you want to use the same program to send and receive messages from your other email addresses.
- If you still can't send Yahoo! Mail from your mail program, you may be accessing the Internet through an ISPInternet service provider: the service providing access to the Internet that is blocking the SMTP port. If this is the case, try setting the SMTP port number to 587 when sending email via Yahoo!'s SMTP server.
- See the help article about troubleshooting POP send/receive issues for detailed troubleshooting instructions.