Restore lost or deleted emails or IMs
If you have noticed that some email messages or entries in your conversation history are unexpectedly deleted, it may be possible to recover them.
In some cases, we can restore lost or deleted emails and instant messages (IMs). However, we cannot guarantee a successful restore, and there is a limited time frame in which a restore is possible. We recommend reading the article Emails are missing from one or more folders before requesting help restoring emails. In most cases, the content is simply hidden from view and not deleted at all.
Before requesting our help restoring emails, please carefully read the following information:
- We can only restore messages that were lost in the last 48 hours.
- We can't guarantee a successful restore.
- We cannot pick specific emails, pull a certain time frame such as a week or a month, or pick from one date to another.
- The restore process causes your most recent emails and instant messages to be permanently deleted. When we perform a restore, we return your account to exactly the way it looked when your missing messages were there. Any emails sent or received after that time will be deleted, and cannot be retrieved. Because Mail and Messenger are connected, the same goes for any IM messages sent of received after the restore time -- they will be deleted.
- Before requesting a restore: Backup any messages sent or received within the last 48 hours that you want to keep.
Note: IM conversation history archives for Yahoo! Messenger for Windows (versions 10 and below) and Yahoo! Messenger for Mac cannot be recovered using this process.
If you would still like to request a restore attempt, after considering the information above, please fill out our Restore help form.