Receiving email in another email program
- How to set up POP mail
- How to view your email in Microsoft Entourage, Outlook, Windows Live Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, Mac Mail, and other email programs
- Server settings for incoming POP and outgoing SMTP
Below are instructions for setting up POP (Post Office Protocol) for your Yahoo! Mail account. POP is the Internet protocol standard used by email readers.
First, make sure POP is turned on for your Yahoo! Mail account:
- Sign in to Yahoo! Mail.
- Click the gear icon () in the upper-right corner of the window, and select Mail Options from the menu that appears. (In Mail Classic, select Options | Mail Options.)
- Click POP & Forwarding from the list at the left. The "Access your Yahoo! Mail elsewhere" ("POP & Forwarding" in Mail Classic) options display at the right.
- Select the radio button next to Access Yahoo! Mail via POP ("Allow your Mail to be POPed" in Mail Classic).
- Click Save.
Second, set up your email program to receive your Yahoo! Mail. Select an email program below for detailed steps:
- Microsoft Entourage 2001 and Higher
- Microsoft Outlook Express
- Outlook 2002 (XP) and 2003
- Outlook 2007
- Outlook 2010
- Windows Live Mail
- Mozilla Thunderbird
- Mac Mail for Apple OSX v.10.5 and 10.6
- Mac Mail for Apple OSX v.10.7 (Lion OSX)
- Outlook 2011 for Mac
For email programs not listed above, consult the help pages for your email program for detailed instructions on setting up POP.
You may be asked for the following information about incoming and outgoing server settings when setting up POP:
- Incoming mail server settings:
- POP server: pop.mail.yahoo.com
- Use SSL
- PortA software connection computers use to exchange data directly: 995
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP) settings:
- SMTP server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
- Use SSL
- Port: 465
- Use authentication
- Email address: Your Yahoo! Mail email address (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Password: Your Yahoo! Mail password
- Account name/sign-in name: Your Yahoo! ID (your email address without the "@yahoo.com" at the end; for example, "jo.bloggs")
- If you can't add new POP or new SMTPSimple Mail Transfer Protocol: an Internet standard protocol used by email programs to send mail to a remote computer servers in your mail reader program, you need to change your current mail settings to access your Yahoo! Mail account. Write down your current settings first: You may need to revert to them later if you want to use the same program to send and receive messages from your other email addresses.
- If you still can't send Yahoo! Mail from your mail program, you may be accessing the Internet through an ISPInternet service provider: the service providing access to the Internet that is blocking the SMTP port. If this is the case, try setting the SMTP port number to 587 when sending email via Yahoo!'s SMTP server.