Accessing other email accounts through Yahoo! Mail
How to receive email from an external email account -- like Gmail, Hotmail, or AOL -- in your Yahoo! Mail account.
You can receive messages from most external email accounts in your Yahoo! Mail account. You can also use Yahoo! Mail to send email from other account addresses, so an email will appear to be from your other account. It's a convenient way to do all your emailing from one place!
To complete the process, you'll need to determine the mail server name for each account you wish to add. We recommend speaking to either the Internet Service Provider (ISP) you use to connect to the Internet, or the Network Administrator who controls the system at your work or school. Verify with them that it's a POP (Post Office Protocol) server.
Delivery options include:
- Choosing the Yahoo! Mail folder you want new messages to go into
- Deciding whether or not emails in the other accounts should stay in the Inbox after you read them in Yahoo! Mail
- Choosing to get either all your messages from the other account, or only the new ones
- Applying your Yahoo! filters to that other mail, if you want
To add an account using the setup wizard:
- Sign in to Yahoo! Mail.
- Click the gear icon () in the upper-right corner of the window, and select Mail Options from the menu that appears.
- On left side of the page, click Mail Accounts, then at the top of the middle column, click + Add.
- In the Add account window that appears, fill out the following information and then click Continue:
- Account Name: Any name you'd like to give for this account (for example, Work, School, etc...).
- Email Address: The email address on the external email server.
- This step depends on whether you want to send emails only, or both send and receive emails.
- To send emails only: Select Skip this, set up to send only. Then you are done, and you just need to check the email address for a confirmation from Yahoo! Member Services. You'll be able to send emails from the new address once you've clicked the link in the email verifying the account.
- To send and receive emails: Fill out the information in the Add account window:
- Username and Password: Please note that the user name is different than your email address. Typically it is the text in your email address before the "@" symbol. Your password is whatever you use to access your external email account and not necessarily your Yahoo! password.
- POP server: Enter your (POP) "Mail Server" name. This information should be obtained from your external email provider. Only POP mail servers are supported at this time.
- Deliver email to: You can choose which folder to route messages addressed to this account.
- Select any Advanced Options you'd like to use by checking the appropriate boxes:
- Use Filters: If you use filters, place a check in the "Use Filters" checkbox to run all messages retrieved from your External Mail account through your Yahoo! Mail filters. Any messages that are not filtered will be placed in the folder you choose next to "Deliver incoming messages to:".
- Override default POP port: If your email provider uses a different Port setting on their POP server, you will need to edit this field. Note: If you are using an account that requires a secure connection (SSL), please use port 995.
- Retrieve new messages only: Disabling this option may download all messages in the external email account each time you check the account from Yahoo! Mail.
- Leave mail on POP server: Specify whether messages retrieved to your Yahoo! account will also remain in your external mail account or whether they will be deleted from your external mail server.
- Click Save.
NOTE: The Yahoo! Mail Support Team does not know and can't provide you with the server name, port number, user name, or password for your external mail account. For assistance tracking down this information, contact your ISP or Network Administrator.