Unable to post messages on group's website
This article explains why you may have difficulty posting messages on a group's website. Includes information on why posted messages may not appear in the group.
If you are unable to post a message to your group, there are four possible causes. For more details on each one, please click on the link:
- You are not logged in or not being recognized as a member of the group.
- You do not have permission to post to the group.
- Your posts are not being approved by the moderator of the group.
- You’re replying to individual members or to the owner rather than to the group.
You are not logged in or not being recognized as a member of the group.
If you see a “Post” link in the left hand navigation but the link is not clickable, it means either you are not logged in, or you are logged in but are not being recognized as a member of the group. You will know this is the case if you see a “Join This Group” button on the home page of the group.
There are two possible explanations for not being recognized as a member:
- It could be because you’re currently an "email only” member of the group or that you’re a member of the group with a different Yahoo! ID. Either way, you can use the Membership Wizard to become a full member with the ability to post from the web.
- Or, it could be that you simply aren’t yet a member of the group (or perhaps intentionally or unintentionally had your membership removed). You have to be a member to be able to post to most groups. To become a member, click the “Join this Group” button.
You do not have permission to post to the group.
If you do not see a “Post” link in the left hand nav bar, it means that you do not have permission to post to the group. This may be because no one in the group has permission to do so or it may be because the moderator of the group has explicitly removed your posting privileges.
Either way, only the moderator of the group can restore your ability to post. You can contact the moderator of the group by sending email to GROUPNAMEemail@example.com (replacing “GROUPNAME” with the actual name of the group).
Your posts are not being approved by the moderator of the group.
If you are able to get to the “Post” page and submit a post, but the message never appears on the group, the problem may be that the moderator of the group is not approving your messages.
You will know if your posts require moderation before being posted if a message reading “Your message must be approved by the group owner before being sent to the group” appears at the top of the Post Page and after submitting your post you see a message reading “Your message is awaiting for approval.”
If the moderator if the group is not approving your posts, you can contact them to ask why by sending email to GROUPNAMEfirstname.lastname@example.org (replacing “GROUPNAME” with the actual name of the group). But keep in mind that moderators have complete discretion over what messages they choose to approve. Yahoo! cannot contact them on your behalf to ask them to approve your posts.
You’re replying to individual members or to the owner rather than to the group.
If you’re able to post new messages to a group, but your “replies” to message are never posted, the problem is likely due to the default settings of the group being “reply to sender” (or owner) rather than to reply to the group. When this is the case, your replies are likely being successfully posted, but they are only going to the person you are replying to and not to the group as a whole.
You can see if this is the case by looking closely at the “To” field, the next time you try to reply to a message. If the “To” is an individual email address, rather than the group’s email address, you will have to manually change the "To" field to the group address for your reply to go to the entire group.