MarketTracker fails to launch
Learn to resolve issues where MarketTracker fails to launch or start properly:
- The launcher or applet window does not open.
- An error appears on the launcher window.
- The launcher window continuously displays a loading icon.
MarketTracker launch or startup problems can occur if Java is not running properly and if multiple conflicting versions of Java are running at the same time.
Important note: If you are launching MarketTracker in Firefox, a prompt to activate Java may appear. For steps to activate Java and for more information about this change to Firefox, please see this Mozilla support article about activating Java.
If you use a PC, please follow the instructions below to remove all versions of Java from your computer:
- Click Start.
- Click Control Panel (it may be listed under "Settings" on some Operating Systems).
- In Windows XP, click Add and Remove Programs.
- In Windows Vista or Windows 7, click Programs | Programs and Features.
- Select each version Java and click Remove or Uninstall.
- Once all instances of Java or Sun JVM have been removed, restart your computer.
- Navigate to the Java website and click the Free Java Download button.
- Complete the steps provided on the Java website to download and install the software.
- Once Java has been installed, sign in to Yahoo! Finance and launch MarketTracker.
If you use a Mac, please contact Apple about Java related problems.
If you do not have a version of Java installed, please refer to Step 6 (above). Following the link provided will also allow you to upgrade the version of Java installed on your computer.