My password is not working
This article addresses the following issues:
- I have entered the correct password but it says it's wrong
- "Invalid Password" received after entering a correct password
- I have forgotten my password
- My password does not work
- I am unable to sign in
If you have entered your password and you believe it was entered correctly, but you have received an "Invalid Password" error message, the steps below can help you diagnose the issue. We find there are typically three causes of receiving this message:
- It could be an incorrectly entered password.
- There could be issues with your Internet Browser.
- Your account may have been compromised.
Here are some helpful ideas for each possible cause:
If you think you could have typed your password incorrectly, please check the following:
- Is your CAPS LOCK key on? Passwords are case-sensitive, which means that "PASSWORD," "PaSsWoRd," and "password" are seen by Yahoo! as three different passwords. Try typing your password again, making sure to use uppercase and lowercase letters where necessary.
- Did you sign in with the correct Yahoo! ID? Make sure that you are using the correct Yahoo! ID when signing in to your account. If you have forgotten your Yahoo! ID, you can request it here.
- Have you changed your password within the last 24 hours? If you recently requested a new password or changed your password, wait 24 hours before typing your new password. If you’ve entered your password too many times, you’ll be locked out of your account for 24hours. This is a Yahoo! security feature designed to protect your account.
If you feel that your browser may be causing these issues, please try the following:
- Before you change your password, clear your browser’s cache, close your browser, then go to the Yahoo! Sign In page, and carefully type your password again. For instructions on how to clear your cache, follow the instructions in the online help for your browser. (Internet Explorer, Safari, Chrome, Firefox)
- If that does not work, then please Try another browser. If you’re using Firefox, try Internet Explorer instead.
Still having problems?
If you are certain that the issue is neither your password or your browser, it is totally possible that the reason you are still having difficulty may be because your account may have been compromised. If you feel like your account may have been compromised or you have just forgotten your password, please use our online password recovery process. After you receive your new password, you will be able to access your account and set the password of your choosing.
Note: The best way to assure your account's security is to regularly change your password. We know that Yahoo! users that frequently change their password rarely have account security issues.
If you have tried all the above steps and are still having trouble recovering your password, please feel free to click on the Get Help button on the right side of this screen and fill out a help request. Our Customer Care team will be happy to help you with this.
- Yahoo! does not keep records of your passwords, we will not be able to provide you with any information regarding a past or present password.
- These steps are also helpful if you have forgotten, lost or can't remember your password
- Too many failed login attempts may result in the account locking for 24 hours.