What is a Yahoo! Family Account?
This article addresses the following information regarding Yahoo! Family Accounts:
- What a Yahoo! Family Account is
- Who is eligible for a Yahoo! Family Account
- What benefits come from having a Yahoo! Family Account
- Where to create a Yahoo! Family Account
- Tips on how to protect your family on the Internet
- Family account limitations
A Yahoo! Family Account is an account which allows you to control the information your child shares with Yahoo! and to monitor their account on an ongoing basis. Children under the age of 13 must be attached to a Family Account.
With your Yahoo! Family Account, you can:
- Create separate Yahoo! IDs for each child under 13 in your family.
- Sign in as your child to modify any aspect of their account.
- Modify your child's account information and other information stored on Yahoo!.
- Modify your child's Yahoo! Mail Block List and Yahoo! Messenger Friend List and Ignore List.
- Protect your child from accessing certain age-restricted areas of Yahoo!.
Yahoo! also limits the activities and features available to your child. Your child is not permitted to:
- Participate in Yahoo! Games; instead, they will be directed to Yahooligans! Games.
- Found their own Yahoo! Groups (although they are free to join most groups)
- Participate in Yahoo! Fantasy Sports games
- Receive special offers from Yahoo!
- Use the Yahoo! Messenger Webcam service
- Add their postal address or phone number to their account information
- Participate in sweepstakes or promotions where information is shared with third parties for future marketing purposes
- Post a listing on People Search (if they try, it will be suppressed)
- Create a Yahoo! Public Profile
- Participate in Yahoo! Auctions
- View listings or participate in Yahoo! Chat
- Post or reply to a Yahoo! Personals ad
- Create a Yahoo! Wallet
- To create a Yahoo! Family Account visit our Yahoo! Family Account page.
NOTE: For security reasons, it is our policy not to alter the birth date listed in our users' account information. However, when the account reaches the age of 13, the above limits will be removed.
In order to set up a Family Account for your child, go to the Yahoo! Registration page and fill out the form with your child's date of birth and other requested information. After clicking I Agree to submit the registration, you will be prompted to grant permission for your child and link their account to yours. If you do not already have an account on Yahoo!, you will be allowed to create one for yourself.
Yahoo! Family Accounts also offers a set of resources to help your family safely surf the Web. Please visit our Internet Safety Resources for Parents page for additional information about how to protect your family on the Internet.