Clearing Yahoo! Messenger Cache in Windows
Learn how to clear your Yahoo! Messenger cache to resolve a variety of Yahoo! Messenger issues:
- "An error occurred while trying to access the 'SocialView' plug-in."
- "The last Address Book operation did not succeed due to a server error. (error code: -40402)"
- Your contacts can't see your avatar or display image - the picture appearing next to your name in message windows, or your contact list.
- You can't see your contacts' avatars or display images.
Note: These steps apply to Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8; including 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
To clear your Yahoo! Messenger cache:
- In the notification area located next to the clock at the bottom-right corner of your screen, right-click the Yahoo! Messenger smiley icon, then select Exit.
- Note: Windows 7 and Windows 8 users may have their "Messenger smiley" icon hidden in the notification area; if so, move your cursor over the up arrow in the notification area to display the hidden icons, right-click the Messenger smiley icon, then select Exit.
- On your keyboard, press the key combination Windows Logo+R. This opens the "Run" command.
- Type cmd and press Enter.
- Copy one line at a time from the list of command prompts below, then right-click within the Command Prompt window to paste the command.
- After pasting each command, press Enter on your keyboard.
Note: If you receive the "The system cannot find the file specified," continue with the next command. These errors are harmless.
rd "%AppData%\Yahoo!\" /s /q
rd "%ProgramFiles%\Yahoo!\Messenger\Cache\" /s /q
rd "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Yahoo!\Messenger\Cache\" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\VirtualStore\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\Cache" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Yahoo!\Messenger\Cache" /s /q
- Click the X button to close the Command Prompt.
Note for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 users:
- If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 and you receive an "access is denied" error, start again with Start | Programs (or All Programs) | Accessories. Make sure to right-click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
Now that you have cleared the Yahoo! Messenger cache, you can restart Yahoo! Messenger. Click the Windows Start button, select Programs (or All Programs) | Yahoo! Messenger.