Troubleshooting attachments in Yahoo! Mail
- Can't upload an attachment
- Can't download an attachment
- Can't view images attached to an email
To effectively resolve issues related to attached files in Yahoo! Mail, please first try our browser troubleshooting steps, since attachment issues are often browser-related.
If you are still experiencing problems after completing the troubleshooting steps listed above, your issue may be related to:
- Browser download settings
- Encrypted files not supported
- New file
Browser download settings
Please check your browser download settings to determine where files are set to download to by default.
- Internet Explorer:
Internet Explorer by default should ask you where to save any files. Please verify the location that the files are being downloaded to in the dialog box that appears after clicking the Download File link.
- Select the Tools menu, then select Options.
- Select the Main or General tab.
- Locate Downloads and verify the location files are set to download to.
- Select the Edit or Safari menu, then select Preferences.
- Select the General tab.
- Locate Save downloaded files to: and verify the location files are set to download to.
- Google Chrome:
- Select the Tools menu (wrench icon), select Options.
- Depending on your version:
- Select the Minor Tweeks tab.
- Select the Under the Hood tab.
- To change the default location for downloads, click the button and browse to the location of your choice.
Encrypted files not supported
Yahoo! Mail does not accept attachments that have been encrypted, (modified by use of a secret code to prevent unauthorized access to the information). If you are unable to download a file that you received please contact the sender to ensure that the file was not encrypted. If you are unable to upload a file, please ensure that the file has not been encrypted.
Obtain a new copy of the file
Please resave the file that you are attempting to attach with a new name. Try to avoid using any of the special characters, such as #, $, / , @, as these characters can sometimes cause problems.
Please have the person who sent you the file, send a new copy of the file.