Using the Yahoo! Axis tablet app
This article explains how to use the Axis app for tablet computers like the iPad.
Some of the controls specific to the Yahoo! Axis iPad app:
- Yahoo! Axis on the iPad is a web browser with a built-in search box. Enter search terms or URLs (e.g., www.yahoo.com) in the same box.
- Refresh Button Circle Arrow – refreshes the web page.
- Stop Button X Icon– stops the web page from loading.
- Web Browser Back Button Back Icon – tapping the back button will go back to your previously viewed web page in your browser’s history, if available.
- Web Browser Forward Button Forward Icon – tapping the forward button will go forward to the next viewed web page in your browser’s history, if available.
- Action Button Action Icon – tapping this button allows you to share the web page you are viewing with other people by Email, Twitter™, or Pinterest™. You also can go to the Yahoo! Axis home page.
Note: You will need Apple iOS 5.0 or above to use the Twitter share feature.
- Bookmark Page ButtonStar Icon – tapping this button allows you to save the web page you are currently viewing to your bookmarks.
- Yahoo! LogoYahoo! logo – tapping the Yahoo! logo will take you to www.yahoo.com.
- Bookmark ManagerRibbon Icon – view and organize your saved bookmarks. Tapping any of your saved bookmarks will take you to that web page.
- TabsTab Icon – tapping this button will display a panel with your tabs. You can press the + button to add a new tab or the x on a tab to close it. The tabs are displayed as a screenshot of the page, making it easy to recognize which tab you want to go to. Simply tapping one of the screenshots will take you to that tab. Tabs allow you to have many browser windows open at once so you can browse many websites at the same time.
- Open web link in new tab – you can open any web link in a new tab by pressing down and holding on the link until the pop-up window appears. Tapping on Open Link opens the web page immediately in the current tab and replaces your current display; Open Link In New Tab opens the link in a new, blank tab window; Copy Link copies the displayed URL into the temporary clipboard area of your device to be pasted in the address bar or another document. Tapping Cancel will close this pop-up with no action taken.
- Home Page - opening a new tab takes you the Yahoo! Axis home page. The home page shows you your favorite bookmarked web pages and the last thing you were doing on your other devices. With one tap you can pick up from where you left off.
- SettingsGear Icon – tapping on the Settings button displays the following options:
- "Login/ Logout" – login to Yahoo! Axis with your Yahoo!, Google, or Facebook accounts. You can log out at any time. Logging out will turn off the ability to link your experience across devices.
- "View page as" – allows you to display the current web page in the following formats:
- iPad – default view when using the iPad.
- Desktop – view the web page optimized for a desktop computer.
- iPhone – view the web page optimized for the iPhone.
- "Rate this App" – tapping this menu option will take you to the Apple App Store. You will be able to give Yahoo! Axis a rating and provide comments for other people to see.
- "History" – tapping here displays the searches you have made and all the web pages you have visited.
- "Axis on other devices" – learn about the other devices that Yahoo! Axis can be installed on.
- "Feedback/Suggestions" – send the Yahoo! Axis team your comments and feedback on how the product can be improved.
- "FAQ/Help" – opens this help document.
- "Legal" – displays the legal terms and privacy statements of Yahoo!
- "Local Only Mode" - allows you to browse the Internet without saving your searches and visited web pages and you will be unable to pick up where you left off on your other devices.
Note: When "Local Only Mode" is active, the Yahoo! Axis app does not share or connect this information with the other devices.
- To show your search results, tap the web page title bar or pull the page down by swiping your finger downward just below the search box. To hide the search results, tap the web page title bar or tap anywhere on the website you are currently on.
- When the search results are visible, swiping your finger left or right will scroll the results so you can see the next set or, if available, previous results.
Note: Tapping in the search box and pressing the x icon will show the search results window and display the current trending searches.
- Image Search – With search results showing, tap the Search Type ButtonDrawer Icon at the bottom left. A panel will open giving you an option to search for either ‘web’ or ‘image’ results. Tapping image will display image results for anything you search. To change back to web results, simply tap the Search Type ButtonDrawer Icon again and click web.