Waivers basics in Fantasy Football
This is an introduction to waivers, and lists the default settings for public and pro leagues.
Waivers are the process by which owners can select from the pool of available players who are not on any other team's roster. If a player is not selected during waivers, the player then becomes a Free Agent (FA) and can be selected on a first-come, first-serve basis. Initial waiver options start immediately following the draft.
The waiver system is designed to help the league commissioner allow for an equitable distribution of players post-draft. Alternatively, league commissioners can choose to strike this balance by excluding waivers, and allowing players to be claimed on a first-come, first-served basis.
Public and Pro leagues will have the following waiver settings:
- Weekly Waivers: Game Time - Tuesday
- Free agents will be placed on waivers as soon as their game begins each week, while players on a bye week will be placed on waivers at 5:30pm PT Mondays. All unowned players will become available when the claim period ends at 11:59 pm PT on Tuesday.
- Waiver priority: Continual rolling list
- Waiver claims are processed in waiver priority order, and each successful claim moves a manager to the end of the waiver priority list.
- Post-draft waivers: 2 days
- Waiver period: 2 days for all dropped players and players added to the game by Yahoo! Sports
However, there are many options from which a commissioner can choose to customize their league.
Please note: Waiver claims will display on the league's transactions log a few hours after the waiver claim period ends. During this lag time, any free agent acquisitions made will have no effect on waiver priority.
Check out these articles for more detailed information about waivers:
- Changing waiver settings
- How to manage or cancel waiver claims
- How waiver priority is determined
- Waiver period for dropped players
- Weekly waiver options
- Game Time waivers
- Why wasn't my claim successful?
- Multiple waiver claims with the same player
- Post-draft waivers
- Same-day add/drops don't affect waivers
- FAAB waivers
- Free agents and waiver priority
- Additional waiver rules