Yahoo! Messenger PC-to-PC Access Error in Windows Vista, 7, and 8
This article provides troubleshooting tips for users who experience the 'Cannot Access the Server' error when using Messenger to make a PC-to-PC call.
First, please review this list to make sure that your system meets the requirements for Yahoo! voice chat:
- Microsoft Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, or 8
- Pentium class processor of at least 1GHz
- Internet Explorer (version 6 or later)
- At least 256MB RAM
- A microphone, sound card, and speakers
- A non-proxy connection to the Internet
- A broadband connection is recommended, but not essential
After you've reviewed your system requirements and determined that your system meets or exceeds the specifications, the next step is to try running the Call Setup Assistant. The Call Setup Assistant resolves many of the calling-related issues that our customers report to us. To run Call Setup Assistant in Yahoo! Messenger:
- Click the Help menu and then select Setup Video and Voice.
- Follow the instructions to test your microphone and speakers, and specify your Internet connection.
If running the Call Setup Assistant hasn't resolved the issue, try the following steps to determine whether your audio hardware is working properly with Windows:
- Please press Windows + R to open the "Run" command line.
- Type in mmsys.cpl and press Enter. This opens "Sound."
- On the Playback tab, select your speakers and then click Configure. A "Speaker Setup" window should appear.
- Follow the instructions to test your audio hardware to make sure it can properly play sounds.
- Click OK to close the "Sound" utility.
- Click the Start menu and select Run again.
- Type in the following command %WinDir%\Speech\Common\sapisvr.exe -SpeechUX and press Enter. This will open "Set up Speech Recognition."
- Follow the instructions to test your audio hardware to make sure it can properly capture your voice.
If the audio hardware troubleshooting steps didn't resolve this issue, it's possible that the version of Yahoo! Messenger installed on your computer is corrupted.
Please click here to view instructions for uninstalling and re-installing Yahoo! Messenger in Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.
If your audio hardware still isn't working properly after uninstalling and re-installing Yahoo! Messenger, another option would be to contact the company that made your computer. They have the most expertise on their products and can give additional troubleshooting help and tips on this problem.