What is Yahoo! Axis?
This article describes the features and available platforms for Yahoo! Axis.
Yahoo! Axis is a search browser that provides a completely new way to search and browse the web. It is available on three devices (PC, iPhone and iPad) and can be used on its own or together for a connected device experience. Axis integrates searching and browsing into a single, more efficient experience that transforms search into a companion, not a destination. It provides you with instant answers, visual previews of top search results for a more efficient and content-rich way to explore interests online. When activated, Axis also automatically recognizes you as you move from device to device, providing a personalized and consistent experience wherever you go.
Axis can be used on a single device or across multiple devices to create a seamless and personalized user experience on any of the following supported platforms:
- Tablet - Yahoo! Axis supports the Apple iPad™.
- Mobile - Yahoo! Axis supports the Apple iPhone™.
- Desktop - Yahoo! Axis for the desktop is a add-on that supports the following web browsers:
- Google Chrome™ (all versions).
- Mozilla Firefox™ (version 7 and higher).
- Microsoft Internet Explorer™ (version 9 and higher).
- Apple Safari™ (version 5 and higher).
Yahoo! Axis provides the following benefits:
- Search the web without ever leaving the web page you are viewing. Easily return to your search results at anytime without needing to use the web browser’s "back" button.
- Yahoo! Axis provides search suggestions, visual snapshots of web results, and quick answers to common searches, like the weather forecast or local movie show times.
- Yahoo! Axis on the iPad and iPhone are web browsers with a built-in search box. Enter search terms or URL's (e.g., www.yahoo.com) in the same box. See search results instantly appear as you type without ever needing to go to a search results page.
- Sign in using your Yahoo!, Facebook or Google account, and Yahoo! Axis will automatically recognize you from any of your linked devices.
- Yahoo! Axis allows you to go from one search result to the next. On the iPhone and iPad, just swipe from the edge of your screen and browse through results as you would with a magazine. On your desktop, Yahoo! Axis shows right and left arrows you can click to go to the next or previous result.
- Bookmark any page for quick access anytime. Your bookmarks will appear as visual snapshots of the web page so you can easily find the page you are looking for.
Note: You must be signed-in to connect your bookmarks and recent sites to your other devices. Yahoo! Axis lets you switch between your devices so you can pick up where you left off.
- Private Browsing Mode on the iPhone and iPad. Yahoo! Axis provides a private browsing mode on the iPhone and iPad. Once this private browsing feature is turned on, it remains on as long as you are using Axis. If you have existing tab windows open when you turn on private browsing mode, you will be prompted to close those tabs before starting your private browsing.
IMPORTANT: If you are on a secure site (e.g., online banking sites, shopping carts or any URL containing "https://") prior to turning on private browsing mode, Yahoo! Axis will automatically log out from those secure sites and accounts when you select Close All Tabs.
When private browsing mode is enabled:
- Web pages that you open and files you downloaded aren't recorded in your browsing and download histories.
- Changes made to your Yahoo! Axis bookmarks and general settings while in private mode are always saved.
- Axis bookmarks created while in private mode will be synchronized to all your connected devices.
Note: You must be logged in to Yahoo! Axis to use private browsing mode.
- Secured Site Lock - Easily identify secured web sites before providing personal information (e.g., login or credit card information). The new lock graphicA padlock next to the title in the window tab is displayed in the Axis title bar on secured web sites.
- Increased Security - Yahoo! Axis data (e.g., search history, browsing history and bookmarks) is encrypted locally.
For more information about using Axis, visit our help pages:
- Using Yahoo! Axis common features
- Using Yahoo! Axis tablet features
- Using Yahoo! Axis mobile features
- Using Yahoo! Axis desktop add-on features
- Using Yahoo! Axis bookmarks