Troubleshooting procedures for issues with webcam or video
Resolve webcam or calling-related issues with Yahoo! Messenger, including:
- A black or gray image when sharing the webcam.
- Blurry or pixelated image when sharing the webcam.
- Grayed out Voice Call or Video Call options.
- The webcam may stop responding.
- Webcam crashes or freezes.
- The image on the screen may appear to freeze.
- The screen goes completely blank.
- Error message: "Webcam not found."
- Error message: "Network error occurred while attempting to connect to the server."
Most webcams will work with Messenger. If you are experiencing webcam problems or calling-related issues, please review and then try these troubleshooting steps.
Download and install the following updates:
- The latest version of Yahoo! Messenger.
- Xvid, a video codec that enables video compression and decompression.
- Microsoft DirectX Runtime, which drives high-speed multimedia.
- Microsoft Windows Update, to ensure that your computer is up-to-date.
Uninstall and reinstall your webcam driver software:
- On your keyboard, press the key combination Windows Logo + R. This opens the "Run" command.
- Type appwiz.cpl and click OK. This opens "Add or Remove Programs" or "Programs and Features."
- Select the webcam driver software and click Remove or Uninstall.
- Unplug your webcam.
- Restart your computer.
- Visit the support area of the webcam manufacturer's website to download and install the latest driver software.
- Follow the instructions described by the webcam setup program.
- Note: Plug in your webcam only when prompted.
Test your webcam:
- Run the Video and Voice Setup Assistant to test your webcam.
If you continue to have problems:
- Follow the steps provided in the "Resolution" section, located at the bottom of the help article Messenger Troubleshooting Procedures.
- Review the webcam specifications supported by Yahoo! Messenger, see Webcam Requirements for Yahoo! Messenger.
- If you are using a built-in webcam that is compatible with Yahoo! Messenger and still experiencing an issue, please contact your laptop or original equipment manufacturer (OEM) for additional support.