Restoring lost or deleted emails or IMs
If you have noticed that some email messages or entries in your conversation history are unexpectedly deleted, it may be possible to recover them.
In some cases, we can restore lost or deleted emails and instant messages (IMs). However, there is a limited time frame in which a restore can be performed, and we cannot guarantee that all restores will be successful. Before requesting a restore, we recommend reviewing our troubleshooting article about missing emails in Yahoo! Mail. In most cases, missing content is simply hidden from view, not deleted.
When requesting a restore, please consider that:
- We can only restore messages that were lost within the last 48 hours.
- We cannot guarantee a successful restore.
- We cannot pick specific emails or restore from a specific span of time (e.g., between certain dates, or a specific week or month).
- The restore process permanently deletes all recently sent and received emails and instant messages, and they cannot be restored.
- Before requesting a restore, back up any messages sent or received within the last 48 hours, as they will be deleted if the restore is successful.
Note: IM conversation history archives for Yahoo! Messenger for Windows (versions 10 and below) and Yahoo! Messenger for Mac cannot be recovered using this process.
If you would still like to request a restore attempt, after considering the information above, please complete a restore request form.