How to use Yahoo! Messenger SMS on your mobile device
This document explains how to set up Yahoo! Messenger SMS for your mobile device, how to change your registered mobile number, and how to deactivate the "I'm Mobile" service.
When you're away from your computer you can send or receive your Yahoo! Messenger instant messages (IMs) as text (SMS) messages on your mobile device. All you need to do is set up your mobile device in Yahoo! Messenger on your computer.
How to set up your mobile device:
- Sign in to Yahoo! Messenger on your computer.
- Click the mobile phone icon next to your display image and select Set up Mobile Phone. The Get Yahoo! Messenger on Your Mobile Phone window opens.
- Enter the telephone number of your mobile device in the Number box and click Continue.
- You will receive a text message with a confirmation code on your mobile device. The Get Yahoo! Messenger on Your Mobile Phone window changes and it asks you for the confirmation code you just received on your mobile device.
- Enter the 4-digit confirmation code in the Enter code box and click to select the check box option for Automatically sign me into my mobile phone when I log out of Yahoo! Messenger on my PC.
- Click Next. (The Get Yahoo! Messenger on Your Mobile Phone window changes to tell you that you've successfully registered your mobile device.)
- Click Done.
- You are now set up to send and receive text (SMS) messages using your mobile device. However, you have one final step to complete. You'll need to set up Yahoo! Messenger to send your IMs as text (SMS) messages when you're not signed in to Yahoo! Messenger on your computer.
- Click the mobile phone icon next to your display image at the top of your Messenger window and select Always Sign In to (your mobile number).
After you change this setting, all Yahoo! Messenger IMs go directly to your mobile phone when you aren't signed in to Messenger on your computer.
Note: To change your mobile number, delete your currently registered mobile number, then follow the steps above to register your new number.
Note: If you own a BlackBerry, Android or an iPhone, go to the Yahoo! for Mobile page to get a version of Yahoo! Messenger to install that is designed specifically for your mobile device.