Submitting diagnostic log files
Instructions for sending diagnostic logs to Yahoo! Customer Care when requested or if you are unable to report a problem to Yahoo! using the Messenger help menu.
If you're having problems with Yahoo! Messenger, please download and install the latest version of Yahoo! Messenger. The latest version has new programming that fixes many of the issues that customers reported in previous versions.
Get the latest version of Yahoo! Messenger at: The Yahoo! Messenger download page.
If you still have the same issue, please send a copy of your diagnostic log files following the steps below.
How to create and send diagnostic log files with the built-in tool:
- To turn on diagnostic logging: select the Help menu | select Report a Problem to Yahoo!.
- Reproduce the problem that you were having with Messenger.
- Once the problem starts again: select the Help menu | select Report a Problem to Yahoo!.
- Select the appropriate category | select the appropriate option under "Problem" | enter a short description of your problem in the text box.
- Submit your log files to our engineers for analysis: click Send.
- Turn off diagnostic logging: select the Help menu again | select Turn Off Diagnostic Logs | click OK.
If, for any reason, you are unable to submit diagnostic logs using the "Report a Problem to Yahoo!" function, please use our alternate steps for submitting diagnostic log files.
How to create a screenshot of Yahoo! Messenger Preferences to send to Customer Care:
- Open Yahoo! Messenger | select the Messenger menu | select Connection Preferences.
- Press Print Screen on your keyboard.
- Press Windows Logo+R on your keyboard to open the Run command | enter in the text box: mspaint | press Enter on your keyboard.
- Select the Edit menu | select Paste | select the File menu | select Save | save the screenshot to your Desktop as a JPG file.
- When requested by Customer Care, attach this screenshot along with your diagnostic log files to your reply.
- How to contact Customer Care: see "Next steps" below.
- How to attach files in Yahoo! Mail: see "Other helpful information" below.
- To contact Yahoo! Messenger Customer Care: Click the Contact Yahoo! button on this page.
- Tell Customer Care:
- Explain the problems you're having in detail and what you've done thus far.
- That you've been to this help page article and have created diagnostic log files using the built-in tool.
- If you've created a screenshot, let them know that you can send it to them when requested.
Other helpful information:
- How to attach a file in Yahoo! Mail:
- Click Attach (next to the paperclip) above the Compose window.
- Navigate to the file on your computer.
- Click Open or OK | the file name appears above your Compose window.
- To add more attachments: repeat the process. (There is a 10MB limit.)
- To remove an attachment: click Remove beside the attached file name.
- Stay connected! You can use Yahoo! Messenger in Mail to keep in touch with your contacts.