Testing Your Webcam For Video Calling
This article provides steps for troubleshooting video problems with your webcam.
If you were unable see your video stream during a video call, it could be that your webcam isn't working properly. We've developed a test so that you can verify whether or not this is a problem with your webcam.
Please review these testing notes before proceeding:
- Adobe Flash Player is required to perform this test. If you don't have it, you can download it for free by visiting the Adobe Flash Player site.
- If you have an external webcam, your webcam must be connected prior to visiting this page. If it wasn't connected, please connect it now and then reload this page.
If you still can't see your image after following the instructions from the manufacturer's installation CD to reinstall the webcam drivers, you can send our engineers your diagnostic log files for analysis. These log files can show us if Yahoo! Messenger is functioning properly. Yahoo! Messenger has an embedded reporting tool that makes this a simple procedure.
Here's how to send diagnostic log files with the embedded tool:
- Click the Help menu and select Report a Problem to Yahoo!. This will activate diagnostic logging for Yahoo! Messenger on your computer.
- Start a video call with your contact.
- Once the problem occurs again, click the Help menu and select Report a Problem to Yahoo!.
- Select Video as the category and under "Problem," select the appropriate option.
- Type a short description of your problem in the field provided.
- Click Send. This submits your log files. This will send us your diagnostic log files and our engineers will be able to use them for analysis of your problem.
- Click the Help menu again and select Turn Off Diagnostic Logs.
- Click OK.