Messages are missing from the inbox or another folder
- Emails disappeared from the inbox or another folder
- Recently available emails deleted from account
- Instant messages missing from conversation history
If messages are missing from your inbox or another folder, the first step is to ensure that the messages haven't unexpectedly moved to a different folder:
- Check the Trash folder, and any other folders that you have set up.
- In some cases, email is unintentionally moved to a folder.
- Your folders are listed on the left column of the page; to open one, click on it.
- Check your email filters: You'll want to ensure that a filter isn't directing certain emails to an unexpected place.
- To view your filters, move your mouse cursor over the gear icon in the upper-right, and select Mail Options.
- Select Filters.
- Try using the search feature. If you know the name of the sender or recipient or a word from the subject line of a missing email, try searching for it in Mail Search to see if it's hidden in a folder.
Other reasons why email is deleted:
- You deleted the emails on your mobile device.
- If you check email on a mobile device, please be aware that IMAP syncs the two inboxes together.
- If you delete email from your phone, it is also deleted from your Yahoo! Mail account.
- You use an external mail client that deleted the emails.
- If you have set up your email to POP to a client such as Outlook, Mac Mail, or Thunderbird, it is possible that the external mail account has deleted the messages from your mailbox and moved them to the Trash folder. If this is the case, consult the manufacturer of your mail client for assistance configuring your device settings to prevent this from recurring.
- See our help article about how to set up your email client, for steps for how to set up Yahoo! Mail in a variety of email clients.
- Your email account has been compromised.
- If you suspect that you account may have been accessed by a third party, see our help article about steps to immediately protect your account.
We can help restore emails that have been deleted within the last 7 days.
- To request a restore attempt, see our help article about restoring emails and IMs.