How to sync Yahoo! Contacts with an Apple iOS device (iPhone, iPod) using CardDAV
This article describes how to setup syncing between an iOS device and Yahoo! Contacts using the CardDAV protocol for iOS 4 and previous versions.
- This is useful on iOS 4 and previous versions.
- To setup syncing on iOS 5 requires a different process.
If you are using iOS 4 or earlier, you will be able to sync your Yahoo! Contacts to your iPhone or iPod Touch without plugging it into your computer.
How to check your current iOS version:
- Go to Settings | General on your iOS device.
- Choose About | Version.
- Note: If you are using iOS 5, see our help page with a different set of instructions for setting up syncing on iOS 5.
How to sync your account for iOS 4 and earlier:
- Go to the "Settings" app on your iPhone or iPod Touch.
- Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Tap Add Account.
- Tap Other | Add CardDAV Account.
- Choose the appropriate option:
- For iOS software version 4.1: Enter "yahoo.com" as the server.
- For older versions of iOS 4: Enter "carddav.address.yahoo.com" as the server.
- Type the Yahoo! ID and password you use to sign in to your Yahoo! Contacts and click Save.
- Your device will now verify your sign in credentials.
- Open your iOS device's "Contacts" app.
- A page that allows you to see your Yahoo! Contacts sync into your device Contact list opens.
- To automatically sync the contacts that you add to your iOS device with Yahoo!:
- Open your iOS device's "Settings" app and click Mail, Contacts, Calendar.
- If you have set up multiple accounts in your iOS device, change the default Contacts account to the one in which you'd like to save your contacts in the "Contacts" section.
Note: Depending on your software version, some special characters in your password may not work (e.g., '#') when setting up CardDAV. (If you need to change your password, see our help page about changing your password.)