How to change the membership settings in a Yahoo! Group
This article provides the steps for changing or setting the membership settings to restrict or control the membership of a group. The Management page enables group owners or moderators to change information or policies associated with a group.
Note: In order to make these changes, Moderators must have privilege to "Change group settings", which can be granted by the group owner.
When selecting your Yahoo! group's membership settings, there are three options available:
- Open - Anyone can join the group, without their membership being approved by a moderator.
- Restricted - Anyone can request membership, but the membership is subject to approval by a moderator.
- Closed - Only members who have been invited by a moderator can join.
If your group is designed for a specific set of people (and not the general public) and you want to control membership, then you should choose the "Restricted" or "Closed" setting.
Here's how to edit your group's membership settings:
- Sign in to Yahoo! Groups and select the group that you want to modify.
- From the list on the left, click Management. This link only appears if you’re the owner of the group or a moderator with the appropriate privileges.
- Click Group Settings | Membership.
- Click Edit next to "Membership Type & Welcome Message" or "Additional Messages" section.
- Choose Restricted (or Closed) next to Membership Type.
- Click Save Changes.