How to change a group's name
This article describes how to change your group's name, email address and URL, and contains information regarding the impact of a group's name change.
You may change the name of your group at any time, but keep in mind that this could confuse your members.
If you change your group email address/URL:
- Any existing invitations, links, and sign-up boxes outside the Yahoo! Groups service will no longer be valid, since these refer to your old group name.
- Any message filters or email in-box assistance programs maintained by your members may have to be changed. For example, if a member has an email program that organizes incoming messages into folders, it may not be able to recognize your new group name.
- If your group has been running for some time, your members may resist any changes to the name.
Please carefully consider the implications before changing the name of a group.
If you want to do it, here’s how:
- From the list on the left, click Management. This link only shows up if you’re the owner of the group or a moderator with the privilege to change group settings.
- Under "Group Settings" in the upper right, click Description & Appearance.
- Click Edit next to "Web Address".
- Change the "Group Address", and then click Save Changes.
Note: We generally recommend checking the box to notify users of changes.