Starting a chat conversation within Messenger in Mail
This article explains how to start a new chat instant message within Yahoo!7 Mail.
You can use Yahoo!7 Messenger from within Yahoo!7 Mail to send instant messages to contacts who are online and available.
To send an IM to an existing contact:
- From the left side of the page, click the triangle to the left of Messenger. A list of your online contacts appears.
Note: If you are signed out of Yahoo!7 Messenger in Mail, your contacts do not appear.
- To sign in, click the lightning bolt icon () next to "Messenger," and select Available.
- From the list of contacts, click the contact that you want to instant message. An IM window appears.
- Enter a message into the text entry box and then press Enter.
To send an IM to someone not yet added to your Address Book:
- In the upper-left corner of the page, beside the "Compose" button, click the down arrow, and select Instant Message. A new instant message dialog box appears in the lower-right corner of the page.
- Enter the person's Messenger ID or email address, and press Enter.
- Type your message, and press Enter to send it.
Please note: by default, Yahoo!7 Messenger in Yahoo!7 Mail is enabled when you are signed in to Yahoo!7 Mail. However, if you sign out of Yahoo!7 Messenger in Mail and then exit Yahoo!7 Mail, you will still be signed out of Yahoo!7 Messenger the next time you sign in to Yahoo!7 Mail.
For more information about starting a chat in Yahoo!7 Mail, please see our video.